Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Day 10


Day Ten. 366 Project. Picture # 10. "Look Around". When my best friend suggested the idea of taking a picture each day for a year, I was intriqued by the challenge. But like so many things in life I had to  first start the 366 Project to understand what I would get from traversing the 366 visual stepping stones that forms the path I will follow. This early in my quest, I have already realized that familiarity with my surroundings has lead to a subtle form of blindness. Simply put, I have stopped seeing the details. I mentally do not "see" the journey of my day to day existence. I am usually only seeing the point A to point B of that days activities. Which brings us back to todays picture. Day nine was a rainy monochromatic day. There did not seem to be enough color in the world. Everything was dull and lifeless. This morning was more of the same. So for today's picture I went looking for color and I found it hanging on the wall of the company where I work. I had not "seen" this picture before even though I walk by this colorful collection of stencils many times a day. I am starting to see again. I had forgotten my own words "A picture is a moment in time, look around the moments are everywhere" Jay Baum 2008. Canon Rebel XTI. Canon 28-135mm lens. Focal length 28mm. f/22. ISO 400. exposure 30 seconds. This picture used a technique known as "painting with light". A flashlight is used with a long exposure time and low light conditions to emphasize specific details of the scene. Any additional questions please contact me at jaybaum23@yahoo.com .

1 comment:

  1. Thank you. I enjoy the stories behind the picture, the picture and the "how I did it." I didn't realize the scale of this picture until I saw the electrical outlet on the wall. The lighting effects are visually interesting with the stencil shadows created.

    ReplyDelete