Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Day 298. October 24. Countdown 68 Days.


Day Two Hundred Ninety Eight. October 24. Countdown 68 Days. Picture # 298. "Broken Glass & Coffee". The following paragraph contains graphic descriptions concerning harm to animals. This is not a joke. I try to share stories of my photo trips to give insight into my 366 Project journey. Todays journey was not fun.                
 
 I stopped at an vacant lot on my way home from work to look for a picture for today. Grabbing my gear I stepped down from the truck, that is when my day took a somewhat macabre turn. The smell of death hung on the still air. There was a cardboard box sitting half open a little ways into the lot. As I approached it a wave of flies flew up. It was then that I saw the leg of a goat and what appeared to be a bloody headless white dove laying on the ground. The box itself was full of more death. A dead red rooster. A dead guinea fowl and something else. I took a couple of pictures of the scene then walked further into the lot to see if there was anything else that had been left there. I walked back over to the truck and and called 311. I described to the 311 operator what I was seeing at the scene and the operator transfered me to a 911 operator. I retold my story and the operator took my information and told me a officer was on the way. I described the location and the operator asked if I would mind them calling if they could not find the site. I did not receive a call.

1 comment:

  1. Disturbing to say the least. It reminds me of when I was walking around an old high school that was used as a prison camp/torture facility in Cambodia and came across what looked like a wooden box of human leg and arm bones just sitting in the middle of a room. Considering that there were other places in the facility where human skulls and other bones were placed in display cases as a form of memorial, it seems likely that they were indeed human remains. That whole experience was very disturbing as it graphically displayed man's inhumanity to his fellow man. Still I am glad I visited it. It was not an easy experience, but it was a learning one.

    ReplyDelete