Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Day 290. October 16. Countdown 76 Days.


Day Two Hundred Ninety. October 16. Countdown 76 Days. Picture # 290. "Bits & Pieces". I had an idea for todays picture. There is a vacant lot on a dead end road near where I live. I sometimes shoot flowers and butterflies there. The lot is pretty clean, but there is evidence that some illegal dumping has occured in the not so distant past. My idea was to go study the tiny pieces of detritus on the lot and find my picture within the broken things that that covered the ground. There are pieces of shattered bottles, smashed TV sets and regular litter side by side, with barbed wire so old that seems to have been strung when the earth was created. On the edge of the lot, a small hill of caliche has eroded and partially covered some trash. As I scanned the area for picture ideas, I saw text down in a crack. Abook had been discarded and had been buried a book. Something had caused the book to split exposing the printing. It was not until I could read the words on the computer screen, that I realized it was open to a page in the book on editing images. Seemed fitting somehow. Canon Rebel T3i, handheld. Canon 75-300mm lens. Focal length 170mm. f/8. ISO 400. Exposure 1/400 second.

1 comment: