Saturday, October 6, 2012

Day 279. October 5. Countdown 87 Days.

 
Day Two Hundred Seventy Nine. October 5. Countdown 87 Days. Picture # 279. "Night of the Show". It was a good night. The opening of the "Gathering of Photographers Fall Show" took place at the Flatbed Press Gallery this evening. I was happy to have my picture from Day # 8 hanging in the show. I personally had a good show in that my picture won best in the "Made by Man" category. A photo workshop at Lost Maples State Park was awarded to the category winners. I would like to thank my friend Tracy Jackson and her daughter Cassie for making time on a very busy night to attend the show. Also thank you to everyone who could not attend for their encouraging words and support. After the awards were presented Tracy and Cassie had to leave. As I walked them out to their car, it was obvious that they had found well lit parking close to the gallery. Others were not so lucky. Those that arrived later had to find on street parking on the adjoining blocks. The show opening was at 7:00 PM on the outskirts of downtown Austin. The gallery is located in an industrialized area which can seem pretty dark and lonely at night. As I was leaving, I noticed a lone visitor to the show reluctantly walking into the darkness at the edge of the parking lot. I asked her if she was parked near by. She answered that she was parked a block away at the other end of the next alleyway. I walked her to her car, and then I walked back through the alley. About halfway back through the alley, as I was admiring the lighting on the decrepit fence, I had a "duh" moment. I had forgotten about todays picture. There would be an absurd irony in, that after 278 straight days of taking pictures, I would forget to take a picture because one of the pictures was in a show. Once again quoting an unknown photgrapher, "your best camera is the one you have with you". So out came the iPhone, the camera of last resort. And speaking of iPhones, I would like thank Tracy Jackson for taking the iPhone picture of me at the show, displayed below. Today's picture captured with my iPhone using the Pro HDR app. Finish editing on computer with ACDSee Pro 5.
 

 

1 comment: