Sunday, October 14, 2012

Day 288. October 14. Countdown 78 Days.


Day Two Hundred Eighty Eight. October 14. Countdown 78 Days. Picture # 288. Picture above "Stranger". Pictures below are "Untitled".In the dictionary, the second definition of the word muse is; "2. a source of an artist's inspiration." I never much thought about the source of inspiration, or even ever needing to be inspired to be creative. But that was before this project and my desire to find an interesting picture each day. Luckly my life is full of creative thoughtful people. My friends call, text and email me ideas and tips for pictures. They sometime request certain type shots. The idea and location for today's pictures came from a brochure that my friend Cassie Jackson gave me for an event called "Photofest" in Smithville, Texas. She read the information and realized I might be interested, so she grabbed a brochure for me. I guess everyone that helps keep me focused with fresh ideas and inspiration is part of my ever growing family of muses? Is there a plural form of muse? Can an artist have more than one at a time? Does the muse have to just inspire or can they point and say aim your camera over there? I have always imagined the creative inspiration from a muse would be ephemeral ideas that float round the muse much like a butterfly around a flower. As the idea lightly touches down in your subconcious and  becomes "your thought" you do not even feel the light touch or hear the flutter of the butterfly's wings. Well the butterfly idea sounds nice . . . Then there is my friend and "muse" Gary Cross. He is more like a swarm of angry bees. He is very creative and full of ideas for pictures. What he does for me, is that he gives me constant "encouragement" to shoot outside my comfort zone. People ! Take some pictures of people often tells me. He suggested shooting the Austin City Limits music festival. Which would have been a good idea except I am not comfortable taking pictures of strangers. So back to the butterfly and the bee and their assigned task as my sources for inspiration. The Photofest in Smithville is an event where the organizers close the historic section of town and set up scenes and props with models in various costumes. It is understood by all participants that everyone in the closed area has agreed to be photographed. Perfect I can practice taking some portraits without feeling like I am intruding on someones privacy. Cassie & Gary, thank you for today. I had fun shooting and I realized there is much to learn about portrait photgraphy. First lesson I learned today, it is a whole lot easier to get good useable shots of rough looking men than pretty ladies. Just saying. 2nd lesson the camera loves children. Scroll down to the bottom for a couple of cute kid pics. All in all, a good day. Canon Rebel T3i, handheld. Canon 73-300mm lens, f/5.6. ISO 200. Exposure 1/800 second.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 

3 comments:

  1. Damn. You're good at this. Just sayin. G.
    You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your description of muse/butterfly/bee!

    ReplyDelete