Friday, November 2, 2012

Day 305. October 31. Countdown 61 Days.


Day Three Hundred Five. October 31. Countdown 61 Days. Picture # 305. "Our Lady of Guadalupe". Two weeks ago my friend Cindy Thoreson gave me title and idea for a future picture. "Day of the Dead". The idea was intriguing. I thought about all of the brightly painted costumes and decorations I had seen in pictures. So my next step was a call to another friend Dale Flatt. Dale is the founder of "Save Austin Cemeteries". I told him I was looking for a Mexican cemetery that might be decorated for the Day of the Dead. He directed me to the historic "Cementerio Mexicano De Maria De La Luz" (pictured below) in south Austin. So for the 305th time this year I tossed my gear in the truck and headed out in search of the day's picture. There was only one slight problem, that became apparent when I arrived at the cemetery. There were no decorations honoring the Day of the Dead. One plot had been decorated with traditional Halloween stuff but that was it. The cemetery itself was interesting with its colorful head stones and statues. So I stayed for a while shooting pictures but the lighting was bad. I looked up Day of the Dead on my iPhone when I was back in the truck. That is when I found out it is celebrated on November 1st & 2nd. Oh well, Like Annie says, "tomorrow, tomorrow . . . Canon Rebel T3i, handheld. Canon 28-135mm lens. Focal length 75mm. f/5. ISO 400. Exposure 1/1000 second.
 


No comments:

Post a Comment