Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Day 262. September 18.

 
Day Two Hundred Sixty Two. September 18. Picture # 262. "Untitled".  On Facebook last week I was contacted by a voice from the very distant past. Kenneth Moe my cousin. We had not spoken in over thirty years just because life is a really big place and we had always walked different paths. As we conversed and caught up I realized how little I knew of my mother's side of the family. There seems to be strong creative streaks and lots of story tellers. Ken has done an extensive geneology of the Evans family. He has kindly shared it with me and I am looking for some quality time to sit down and study it. Ken is also a published writer with a book currently available on Amazon.com. http://www.amazon.com/Floating-Boy-Book-Heretics-Occupied/dp/0615591558/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1348024598&sr=1-1&keywords=floating+boy . He connected me with his brother Karl Moet who is a professional musician. http://www.reverbnation.com/karlmoet . Anyway, what does any of this have to do with with this picture? It's about family. Reconnecting with people made me start thinking even though my mother and her siblings have all passed parts of them live on as memories. These memories are triggered by things that are left behind after they are gone. My Aunt Rhoda worked as a nurse on the Gila River Reservation at the elementary school in Sacaton, Arizona. Her family spread her ashes near there on the reservation .The intricate basket above more than likely came from my Aunt through her Native American friends on the reservation. The necklace was the lesser of two squash blossom necklaces my mother wore and much admired. The conversations with my cousins made me stop and handle these things maybe looking for a little spark of magic that at least in my mind will keep family alive forever. Canon Rebel T3i, handheld. Canon 28-135mm lens. Focal length 75mm. f/10. ISO 100. Exposure 1/200 second. Pop up flash -2 with a sheet of paper as a difuser.

No comments:

Post a Comment