Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Day 248. September 4.

 
Day Two Hundred Forty Eight. September 4. Picture # 248. "Temperature". Another 100 degree day in Austin, had me thinking about temperature when I got home. I have a collection of weather related items ranging from my families barometer to a full portable weather station made in Germany for the Russian military. One of the more artistic pieces is the subject of todays picture. Many years ago my friend Tracy Jackson knowing of my interest in weather gave me a beautiful Galileo thermometer modeled after his original design. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galileo_thermometer. In a related side note, yesterday a friend of mine and I were having a discussion on how to shoot a picture of a clear glass vial to get defined edges. So Day 248 envolved some experimenting. I knew the shot would require a very shallow depth of field and a quick shutter speed. So I started with my fastest lens and a high ISO. Next, the background needed to be dark but still have subtle variations. This was solved with my full bag of trash that was by the door waiting to go out. So my thermometer was set on my empty work table with the trash bag as a backdrop. Lights were adjusted to eliminate glare on the glass. I shot a few exposures at different settings but was not satisfied. I finally got the effect I wanted by using my flashlight app on my iPhone. I turned the light on and sat the thermometer on top of the phone. It worked and I got my picture. Canon Rebel XTI, handheld. Canon 50mm prime lens. f/1.8. ISO 1600. Exposure 1/400 second.

1 comment:

  1. I love Galileo thermometers. Interesting process to get the shot. Very cool picture.

    ReplyDelete