Sunday, June 24, 2012

Day 176. June 24.


Day One Hundred Seventy Six. June 24. Picture # 176. "Untitled". Another long drive today. I fell into the trap today of the grass is always greener somewhere else. I awoke this morning with the certainty that I needed to drive to Galveston, Texas to find my picture for the day. It did not matter to me that it would be at least four hours to the coast, then four hours back. I frequently drive hundreds of miles in search of my pictures. So early this morning I packed my gear in the truck and headed out toward Galveston.  About forty minutes east of Austin is the town of Giddings, Texas,  I saw this old warehouse sitting back off the main road, which is the subject of today's picture. I stopped and took a quick series of pictures of this building, but I was in a hurry to get on down to the coast.  Somehow I was certain that my picture would be in Galveston. As I drove closer to Houston, the tourist traffic was really picking up.Which made me wonder why I was driving to a summer tourist destination at the height of the season. So I turned around. As I drove west on Highway 290, I started looking for a road headed south. The name Port Lavaca had popped up in my head. I would go to Port Lavaca. It was many hours away down small backroads. I found my road and headed south. I just passed through many small towns that would've offered great picture opportunities, but I just kept driving. I needed to get to the coast.  The trouble is I timed out. I ran out of day. I never made it to Port Lavaca or Galveston, which was okay. Which brings me back to the grass is always greener somewhere else. I drove by numerous opportunities for pictures today in my quest to make it to the coast. As it ended up my picture for the day was the very first picture I shot in Giddings Texas. I could've turned around and went home then, but I was certain there was a better shot down the road.  Lesson relearned. "Pictures are moments in time, look around the moments are everywhere". Canon Rebel XTI, handheld. Canon 28-135mm. Focal length 75mm. f/8. ISO 800. Exposure 1/320 second.

No comments:

Post a Comment